Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Boss blew it…



Dear Mr. Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen,

So… what was the deal Friday night? Seriously… what happened? This was supposed to be an epic show, you know? We were shutting down the Meadowlands, this was the last night at Giants Stadium. You ever wrote a song about it! You know, "Wrecking Ball?" But, wow, what a letdown. No encore? Really?

Okay, yes, I looked at the set list online and you did play all the songs labeled "encore," but it's not an encore it your don't leave the stage and then come back. Then it's just… well, it's just more concert. Even Supre Boy was pretty disappointed, and he was beside himself with excitment for this concert. Don't get me wrong. "Born to Run?" Epic. I sang, I danced, I cried a little. Same with "Born in the USA," "Badlands"… awesome. But no encore? You just left us standing there, asking each other, "Was that it? Should we go? He's coming back, right?"

But you didn't!

I might be able to forgive all this if you hadn't left out three of my favorite songs. No "Rosalita," no "10th Avenue Freeze Out," and no "Thunder Road." I love "Thunder Road!" Skipping that song was sacrilegious. Hearing that song live was the main reason I came to see you. And you blew it!

Look, you couldn't help that Bon Jovi never showed, although that would have been mind-blowing. But to leave the stadium for the last time on such an anticlimactic note… this should have been huge. This should have been the night you pull out all the stops and bring down house without the damn wrecking ball! And you end with a love song? Yeah, okay, a love song about Jersey girls, but… really? Who ends with a ballad?

No huge encore of "Born to Run?" Nothing extraordinary? I mean, hey, if this was a regular show I'd still be surprised, but ok with it, but this night… of all nights, this should have been the big one. And it just wasn't.

The rest of the night falling apart wasn't your fault. The brawl with the angry fans and security, the swarm of state troopers, the descending K-9 unit, the delayed trains and waiting in the pouring rain… that just pulled the night into a major tailspin.

All the people in the world, you should have known what that night mean to everyone there, and how special it could have been.

I'm sorry it just didn't happen.

Love,

One of your most (disgruntled) faithful fans

No comments:

Post a Comment